This program is licensure only and is geared toward aspiring principals. Students seeking to complete the Principal Licensure – Graduate Certificate for the purposes of obtaining administrative licensure must already hold an MA or MS and must hold a current level 2 or level 3A teacher’s license; or a current level 2 or level 3 instructional support provider license. Students must complete the required 24 credit hours of coursework, which includes six credit hours of a university-supervised administrative internship (over the course of two semesters). This certificate program meets all the NM PED requirements for Principal Licensure in the state of New Mexico.
The program is a hybrid distance education program combining both asynchronous and synchronous delivery technologies. The internships require attendance at monthly seminars that are held face-to-face on the Las Cruces campus (see link to the Pk-12 Administrative Licensure Handbook). There is a mandatory face-to-face orientation in Las Cruces prior to start of course work. All other coursework is online.
Required Credit Hours
This program is 24-credits. All 24-credit hours must be completed to earn the Principal Licensure Graduate Certificate and meet the administrator licensure requirements of the New Mexico Public Education Department.
One year to completion (fall, spring, summer, and fall)
- ELAD 575 The Principalship
- ELAD 576 Educational Financial Management
- ELAD 564 Internship: Public Schools Part 1
- ELAD 570 Educational Leadership, Supervision
- ELAD 531 Special Education Administration
- ELAD 578 Leadership & Administration of BE
- ELAD 565 Internship: Public Schools Part 2
- ELAD 579 Public School Law
- Must hold an MA or MS and must hold a current level 2 or level 3A teacher’s license; or a current level 2 or level 3 instructional support provider license.
- Must be a New Mexico Level III Teacher
- The program requires a 3.0 GPA
- Three years of U.S. teaching experience in the PK-12 sector
- Current and valid teaching license
- Evidence of 3 years teaching experience (Verification Letter from HR/Administrator)
- Three letters of Recommendation
- Writing Sample
- Letter of Interest
- Copy of Current Teaching License Level 2 or 3