Master of Arts (M.A.) in Educational Leadership and Administration
Concentration in Higher Education Administration
The program will enable you to attend classes online to accommodate your busy schedule, allow you to develop your leadership skills in a learning community, inform you about current trends and policies affecting higher education, and prepare you for a career or advancement in community college or university administration.
Concurrent enrollment refers to taking course work for two or more programs in the Department of Educational Leadership and Administration (ELA) simultaneously. Enrollment in one ELA program is academically challenging, thus students accepted into the Master of Arts (Pk-12 or Higher Education), Ed.D., or Ph.D. program are not allowed to take courses in another program concurrently.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Admission to NMSU Graduate School and Division of ELA
- Distance delivery (all classes are online)
- Mandatory participation in orientation (in person in Las Cruces or through admission to NMSU’s Adobe Connect system) before start of course work in January
Required Credit Hours
- This program is 33 credits.
Spring 2022 Admission Deadline: This program begins in the spring semesters only. Materials for this program will begin to be accepted Monday, September 8, 2021 and must be received by the deadline of November 12, 2021.
Submit the following electronically to the University Admissions Office:
- The Graduate School application for admission (http://gradschool.nmsu.edu/)
- Transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended
- Application fee
Submit the following in hard copy, as a portfolio to the Department of ELA:
- A letter of intent/purpose
- A current résumé
- A writing sample (No more than 2-3 pages on a current issue in higher education administration.)
- Three letters of reference (Please click on the link to the letter of reference form below.)
For information regarding Financial Aid and Scholarships,
Call: (877) 278-8586 (Toll-Free)
- *ELAD 582, Community College Administration OR *ELA 563, Higher Education Administration
- ELAD 585, Elements of Research
- ELAD 520, Management of Educational Change: Higher Education
- ELAD 555, Higher Education Finance and Funding
- ELAD 540, Management of Student Services
- ELAD 550, Higher Education Law
- ELAD 586, Leadership for Social Justice and Equity
- ELAD 566, Internship: Higher Ed Part 1
- ELAD 580, Administration of Adult and Continuing Education
- ELAD 569, Basing Decision on Data: Higher Education
- ELAD 567, Internship: Higher Education Part 2
*Students are asked to choose between ELAD 563 and ELAD 582.
Program Assessment Results
The Educational Leadership and Administration (ELA) program values the opportunity to continuously reflect on our intended outcomes for each degree program. We then create an outcome assessment that can illustrate whether students have achieved these outcomes. Click here to view the Masters Program Assessment results.
New Mexico State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Telephone: (575) 646-3593