Master of Arts (M.A.) in Educational Administration
Concentration in Higher Education Administration
The program will enable you to attend classes online to accommodate your busy schedule, allow you to develop your leadership skills in a learning community, inform you about current trends and policies affecting higher education, and prepare you for a career or advancement in community college or university administration.
Concurrent enrollment refers to taking course work for two or more programs in the Department of Educational Leadership and Development (ELA) simultaneously. Enrollment in one ELA program is academically challenging, thus students accepted into the Master of Arts (Pk-12 or Higher Education), Ed.D., or Ph.D. program are not allowed to take courses in another program concurrently.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Admission to NMSU Graduate School and Department of ELA
- Distance delivery (all classes are online)
- Mandatory participation in orientation (in person in Las Cruces or through admission to NMSU’s Adobe Connect system) before start of course work in January
Required Credit Hours
- This program is 33 credits.
Spring 2020 Admission Deadline: This program begins in the spring semesters only. Materials for this program will begin to be accepted Monday, September 3, 2019 and must be received by the deadline of November 15, 2019.
Submit the following electronically to the University Admissions Office:
- The Graduate School application for admission (http://gradschool.nmsu.edu/)
- Transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended
- Application fee
Submit the following in hard copy, as a portfolio to the Department of ELA:
- A letter of intent/purpose
- A current résumé
- A writing sample (No more than 2-3 pages on a current issue in higher education administration.)
- Three letters of reference (Please click on the link to the letter of reference form below.)
For information regarding Financial Aid and Scholarships,
Call: (877) 278-8586 (Toll-Free)
- *ELA 582, Community College Administration OR *ELA 563, Higher Education Administration
- ELA 585, Elements of Research
- ELA 530, Management of Educational Change
- ELA 555, Higher Education Finance and Funding
- ELA 540, Management of Student Services
- ELA 550, Higher Education Law
- ELA 586, Multicultural Leadership
- ELA 566, Internship: Higher Ed Part 1
- ELA 580, Administration of Adult and Continuing Education
- ELA 569, Basing Decision on Data: Higher Education
- ELA 567, Internship: Higher Education Part 2
*Students are asked to choose between ELA 563 and ELA 582.
Program Assessment Results
The Educational Leadership and Administration (ELA) program values the opportunity to continuously reflect on our intended outcomes for each degree program. We then create an outcome assessment that can illustrate whether students have achieved these outcomes. Click here to view the Masters Program Assessment results.
New Mexico State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Telephone: (575) 646-3593