The Department of Educational Leadership & Administration (ELA) offers a minor degree at the master’s and doctoral level. Master’s students seeking an ELA minor must take nine hours from either focus listed below. Doctoral students must take all twelve hours from one of the two areas mentioned below
Required Courses for Master’s Minor
Pk-12 Education Administration(any three courses)
ELA 570 Educational Leadership, Supervision, and Evaluation
- ELA 575 The Principalship
- ELA 576 Educational Financial Management
- ELA 579 Public School Law
Higher Education Administration(any three courses)
- ELA 540 Management of Student Services
- ELA 550 Higher Education Law
- ELA 555 Higher Education Finance and Funding
- ELA 582 Community College Administration or ELA 563 Higher Education Administration
Educational Leadership Doctoral Minor
Doctoral students seeking to earn a minor in ELA must complete the following process:
- Contact Denise Rodriguez-Strawn, ELA Student Program Coordinator, to express interest and go over the requirements below and answer any questions you may have about the program.
- Letter of recommendation from main advisor (in home department), which is also signed and acknowledged by department head of home department.
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Written response to essay questions – three questions
- Why do you want a minor in ELA?
- How do your coursework and/or professional plans align with the mission of ELA?
- Define social justice and explain how it informs your academic and/or professional dispositions.
- Then if advanced to next stage of admission, an in-person or Skype interview with ELA faculty. Included in the interview will be the ELA Department Head and two other faculty members.
- Then a final decision is made. If accepted, an ELA Minor contract is signed (discusses sequence of courses, student code of conduct, and ELA code of conduct/expectations)
Once you are accepted as an ELA Minor, the Student Program Coordinator will contact you so you can complete the following process:
- Notify the graduate school of acceptance and complete minor paperwork. Then contact Denise Rodriguez-Strawn or Alma Meza to let them know that the process has been completed with the Graduate School.
- Meet with the ELA faculty member (Alma or Denise will let you know which ELA faculty member) to discuss program and/or courses. NOTE: faculty will prescribe a plan of study for the minor that takes into consideration the career aspirations and goals of the student.